Moldy Chocolate: Causes, Signs & Prevention

Moldy chocolate is a rare occurrence that can only happen if you expose your chocolate to moisture for a long period. In such a case, mold can grow on the outside of the chocolate as well as inside it.

Moldy chocolate is not a pleasant thing to come across, and it can cause health problems for you and your family. So, to make you understand better, this article is all about moldy chocolate and what to do with it.

Read on to find out more.

What is moldy chocolate?

Moldy chocolate is a term used to describe chocolate that has shown signs of mold growth. Although rare, mold may form on chocolates if you expose them to too much moisture.

The most common types of mold in chocolates are black mold, white mold, red mold, and green mold. These molds produce mycotoxins that can cause allergic reactions and even lung disease and death in some people.

If you see any signs of mold growth on your chocolate, don’t try to salvage it by cleaning it up with a chemical solution. Instead, discard the chocolate and clean up any surface it might have come in contact with.

SEE: What Causes Red Mold On Bread?

Why does chocolate get moldy?

The most common cause of moldy chocolate is improper storage. Mold spores are present in the atmosphere, but chocolate doesn’t contain enough moisture to support their growth.

When you leave your chocolate in a wet or humid environment, such as on your kitchen sink or in your bathroom, the moisture content of the chocolate will rapidly start to increase.

This allows the mold spores present in the atmosphere to contaminate your chocolate and thrive on it. Once this happens, your chocolate will start to change color and develop other signs of mold growth.

SEE: What Causes Moldy Cake And How Can You Prevent It?

What does moldy chocolate look like?

Moldy chocolate will look the opposite of what chocolate looks like. It will be fuzzy-looking and have a blackish, reddish, or whitish tint. Moldy chocolate may also have a musty smell that makes you want to throw it away.

If you have any doubts about whether your chocolate is safe to eat or not, it’s best to throw it out immediately. Moldy chocolate can cause severe health issues, especially in children and people with compromised immune systems.

SEE: Is Chocolate Bad For Sore Throat? Find Out Here

What does moldy chocolate taste like?

Moldy chocolate tastes terrible. If you’ve ever eaten a slice of moldy bread, then you should know that moldy chocolate tastes just like that, but it’s more bitter.

The reason why moldy chocolates taste so bad is that mold releases some harmful chemicals called mycotoxins into the chocolate.

The best way to prevent this from happening is to keep your chocolates in an airtight container away from moisture, like in a cool, dry place.

If you have some chocolates with mold growing on them, throw them away. Moldy chocolates are not safe for consumption, so you shouldn’t eat them or use them for baking and cooking.

SEE: Can You Eat Lamb Medium Rare Or Is Not Safe?

What happens when you eat moldy chocolate?

When you eat moldy chocolate, you may experience nausea, stomach pain, and vomiting after a few hours. It’s also possible to experience other symptoms like fever, diarrhea, headache, and fatigue.

In addition, moldy chocolates can cause allergic reactions in some people. If you’re allergic to yeast or mold (or both), then you’ll be at risk of a reaction if you eat moldy chocolate.

Moldy chocolates can also cause complications for people who have certain health conditions, such as asthma, immune diseases, and kidney disease.

It’s also very dangerous for pregnant women and their babies because the toxins in it can cause brain damage in babies born prematurely.

What should you do if you accidentally eat moldy chocolate?

If you accidentally eat moldy chocolate, the first thing to do is get the remaining out of your mouth by spitting it out. This can be difficult, as the chocolate will have hardened and become stuck in your teeth.

If spitting doesn’t work, try brushing your teeth and scraping your tongue. Once you’ve gotten rid of as much moldy chocolate as possible, make sure not to get any on your skin or clothes by washing your hands well.

Next, discard any remaining moldy chocolate by placing it in a plastic bag and sealing it tightly before throwing it away in the trash bin. This is important to avoid contaminating other foods or surfaces with the mold spores present in the chocolate.

If you experience any symptoms that make you think you should see a doctor, such as an allergic reaction, seek medical attention immediately. After assessing your condition, your doctor may recommend admission to the hospital for further testing and treatment.

How do you know if your chocolates are moldy?

Moldy chocolates will have an off-color and a stale and pungent smell similar to mildew or mushrooms. They’ll also have an unpleasant taste that makes you want to throw up.

If you notice any of these when eating your chocolates, throw them away immediately and wash your hands. This is because mold can cause serious health problems (especially in people with underlying health issues).

SEE: Get a Free Meal Coupon at Cafe Rio

What to do if you have mold on your chocolate

  • Discard the moldy chocolate immediately.
  • Discard all contaminated foods.
  • Check the area where the chocolate was stored for any contaminated surfaces. If there’s any, wash them immediately with soap and clean water.
  • Wash your hands well with soap and water before handling any food products or dishes in your home or office.
  • Avoid using bleach or something harsh, as they can penetrate your hands and cause damage.
  • Seek medical attention if you experience any allergic reaction.

How can you prevent mold growth on chocolate?

The best way to prevent mold growth on chocolate is by keeping it dry and clean. To do this, store your chocolate in an airtight container and keep it in a cool, dry place away from moisture and heat sources, such as ovens and kitchen sinks.

If you make your chocolates at home, make sure you use as few wet ingredients as possible. Too much moisture can cause chocolate to get moldy quickly if the container is not tightly sealed.

Another way to prevent mold growth on homemade and store-bought chocolates is by storing them in the refrigerator or freezer. This will also help prevent the growth of other harmful microorganisms on your chocolates.

SEE: Are Grey Eggs Safe To Eat Or Not?

FAQs

Should you eat moldy chocolates?

No, you shouldn’t. Just as with other foods that have gone moldy, moldy chocolates should be thrown away immediately. If you are unable to discard them yourself, contact your local waste disposal service or take them to a drop-off location.

What is a fat bloom?

The term fat bloom refers to the separation of cocoa butter from chocolate. When this happens, the cocoa butter will separate from the rest of the chocolate and form a white layer on top of it.

Are moldy chocolate chips safe to eat?

No, they’re not. Mold is a sign of spoilage, meaning the chocolate chips have gone bad. The longer you leave mold-covered chocolate chips around, the more harmful they will be to humans and animals.

Can moldy chocolate bars make you sick?

Yes, they can. The toxins in moldy chocolate bars can enter your bloodstream and cause symptoms like nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Moldy chocolate bars can also cause allergic reactions in people that are sensitive to mold or yeast.

Conclusion

Moldy chocolate is a type of chocolate that has gone bad because of mold growth.

Moldy chocolates are not as common as other types of moldy foods, such as bread or cheese, but they can still cause health issues if you consume them.

If you notice mold growth on your chocolate, discard it immediately and seek medical attention if necessary.

Thanks for reading.

Did you enjoy this article? If you did, check out more related ones here on Cheffist.