Have you been trying to figure out how to cool angel food cake without using a glass bottle? Then today is your lucky day as you’ve just clicked on the right link.
Angel food cake is one of those cakes that relies heavily on structure and fruits to bring out its flavor. Furthermore, the cake is ideal for people who have food allergies.
Therefore, you should read this article to learn how to cool angel food cake and more. As it discusses in detail how cooling can be executed as well as a DIY you can use to make your angel food cake.
What Is Angel Food Cake?
It’s a sponge cake made from egg whites, sugar, and cake flour. Because it lacks egg yolk and fat, it is a reduced and low-calorie alternative to a traditional shortcake.
Whipping agents, such as cream of tartar, are often used. In the dearth of rich buttery flavor, angel food cake has a gentle cloudy finish that adds a unique sensorial attribute.
It varies from other cakes in that it has no butter. The whipped egg white gives it an aerated texture.
Angel food cake began in the United States and rose to popularity in the late nineteenth century. Its light and springy texture earned it a distinct reputation, as did its name.
How to Cool Angel Food Cake Without a Glass Bottle
In many contexts, a glass bottle is used to seize up the cake by the pan’s central tube. Before baking, the panpipe, as well as the neck bottle, should be checked to ensure that they fit together.
As a result, trying to cool the cake without a glass bottle can be inappropriate, so pay close attention to how to cool it without one.
You need to use the following techniques to cool your cake.
1. Cooling Cake Invertedly
- If your angel food cake pan has legs, this technique works best.
- When the cake is finished baking, remove it from the oven and instantly invert the pan upon a plate or a clean countertop.
- You’ll be able to leave the cake to relax for approximately 1 hour or so.
- Correct airflow is made possible by the space below, which is necessary for effective cooling.
- One thing to keep in mind about this method is that it only works with pans that have legs.
2. Refrigerating the Cake for Cooling
- It will take a while for your angel food cake to cool in the refrigerator. It could be up to 2 to 3 hours.
- When you remove the cake from the oven, set it on your kitchen counters to cool a bit as you do not want to put the cake still not inside the fridge.
- After this, place the cake upside-down inside the refrigerator. The temperature of the cake may heat other foods in the refrigerator, which is the only drawback to this.
Note: If you remove the pan, curl the cake tightly in plastic wrap and tin foil before putting it back in the fridge.
The cake won’t dry out too much thanks to the wrap. You can also allow the cake to sit for another two hours if you want it extra chilled.
Additionally, if you decide to cool down the cake in its pan using the refrigerator, remove the pan after it had formed by running a sharp knife along the edges of the pan.
3. Cake Cooling on a Wire Rack
- Using a wire rack, you can cool your cake. The size of the cooling rack needs to be considered first to do this. The rack needs to be large and sturdy to allow for quick cooling.
- The rack prevents moisture loss in your angel food cake by letting air flow underneath the cake.
- After your cake has finished baking, remove it from the oven, turn the pan over on the cooling rack, and leave the room to sit for a while until it has completely cooled.
- With the aid of a knife, you can remove the cake from the pan and set it on a serving plate. The wire racks do, however, occasionally absorb the heat given off by cake, which could result in some of the cake’s components becoming mushy.
How to Cool Angel Food Cake After Baking
To cool angel food cake after baking, you should:
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool completely upside-down for about three hours before setting it on a wire rack.
- Once the cake has cooled, loosen it from the pan by running a thin knife all around the corners and gently tapping the pan on a surface.
How Long Does It Take to Cool Angel Food Cake?
It takes up to 2-3 hours to cool an angel food cake. Once your baking is done, which should take 30 to 40 minutes.
As soon as possible, invert the pan onto a heat-resistant bottle or funnel. Allow the cake to cool completely by hanging it.
Why Do You Need to Cool Angel Food Cake?
The cake’s spongy structure won’t properly set up until it has cooled. Making sure it doesn’t fall apart while being turned upside down will prevent that.
Additionally, you must make sure that the cake is properly cooled to obtain the best freshness and prevent the fruits from falling out of the cake hole gap while it is being packed with toppings or fruits.
DIY Angel Food Cake Recipe
Making angel food cake won’t require many ingredients. Despite having so few, each ingredient is crucial to the final flavor and texture of the cake.
- Cake flour
- Granulated sugar
- Egg whites
- Cream of tartar
- Vanilla extract
- Superfine sugar
- Pulse the granulated sugar into ultrafine sugar. Use a blender or food processor.
- From the superfine sugar, set aside 1 cup. It will be mixed into the egg whites.
- To the food processor, add salt and cake flour with the remaining sugar and pulse them. The dry ingredients would be aerated as a result.
- Combine the cream of tartar and egg whites. Until foamy, beat at a medium-low speed.
- Add 1 bowl of superfine sugar gradually into the mixer while turning it to a medium-high temp.
- Create soft, airy peaks by whipping the egg whites, cream of tartar, and extra-fine sugar. This requires at least five minutes. Then add the vanilla.
- Sift the dry ingredients, then stir them in three additions. The batter is poured or spread into a tube pan.
- Do not lubricate your pan. This is because when the pan is greased, the batter slides down the sides and doesn’t rise as it should. If you have already greased it, wash and thoroughly dry it.
- At 325°F (163°C), bake. The cake won’t be properly cooked at a higher temperature.
- Cool the cake upside-down on a wire rack so that it keeps its structure and air can enter it because if it is cooled upright, the weight will cause the cake to collapse.
- To release the cake, pass a slender knife around the edges and simply click the pan on the table a few times.
Why does your angel food cake taste sour?
This could be because of the tartaric acid salt, potassium bitartrate, and cream of tartar that may have been used in the cake.
What is the best way to cool down angel food cake?
After lifting the cake from the oven, let it cool completely upside-down for about three hours before setting it on a wire rack.
Why do you put an angel food cake on a bottle?
Angel food cake pans commonly have tiny legs on top to support them as the cake cools.
If your pan lacks legs, you should flip it over and place the inner tube’s end over a bottle. The cake will sustain itself as you disable it off the pan once it has completely cooled.
What is the fastest way to cool an angel food cake?
Immediately after removing the pan from the oven, reverse it onto a wire rack to cool or poke a bottle through the center. Allow pan to cool for 2 hours. Loosen the cake first from the pan by tapping the bottom and sides.
Unlike other types of cakes, cooling angel food cake requires precision. This is significant because the cake’s sponginess and the formation it carries differ.
As a result, if you want to make your angel food cake without a glass bottle for cooling, you must ensure that the cooling process is done correctly.
Additionally, you must have learned about the other aspects to cool without a bottle from this article as well as the quickest methods.
Finally, angel food cake is simple to make. What you must do is have the ingredients ready and the necessary equipment on hand.
Thanks for reading.
If you enjoyed reading this article, view Cheffist for more.